This recipe is a quick crowd pleaser and comes from our friend with Jim Elser at Sweet Smoke Q. With citrus oil slathered across skewered shrimp, its a refreshing plate perfect for a summer afternoon. Spice it up with Sizzle rub and your favorite spicy sauce if you want to bring the heat. Citrus and spice to make your BBQ taste nice!
16-20 peeled and deveined prawns
1/2 an orange
1/2 tbsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tbsp sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
Your favourite dry herb rub
Your favourite spicy sauce
– Fire up the grill to 190 degrees celsius.
– Skewer prawn in a “lollipop” fashion.
– Juice a lime, lemon, and 1/2 an orange. Add olive oil while whisking to combine ingredients into a citrus oil. Add salt and pepper to the mixture.
– Brush the citrus oil onto the skewered prawns. Dust dry rub over each side once thoroughly brushed.
– Place prawn skewers on the grill.
– When the prawns begin to turn pink, slap some sauce onto either side.
– Finely chop one jalapeno with a small handful of coriander while the shrimp cooks.
– Let the prawns come to an internal temperature of 60 degrees. Be sure not to overcook the prawns, or else the texture becomes rubbery.
– Place skewers on a bed of rocket, juice any leftover lime on top, sprinkle with jalapeno, coriander, and enjoy!